January 3, 2011

You Can Run …

I have always loved the adage “You can run but you can’t hide.” I’ve used it liberally over the years, almost always as I was making some sanctimonious declaration about someone in denial about something in their life. Oh yes, when your life is so very perfect in every way it is easy to toss around powerful adages wrapped up as sage advice and wisdom – isn’t it?


The truth is ‘You can run but you can’t hide’ has never applied to my entire LIFE so much as it seems to right now.


I honestly didn't even realize that I was running. I’ve told myself that I am busy, that I am productive, that I am multi-tasking, that I am keeping multiple balls in the air and with great success, blah, blah, blah. It’s all so much crap. Running is running and I can run but I can’t hide. At some point the legs and heart just get tired and even if I wanted to keep running – they're screaming ‘we’re done, honey’. When you stop running (or fast walking if you still aren’t willing to admit you’re running too – believe me, I get it!) whatever it is that has been chasing you … the taxes you haven’t filed, the hard conversation with someone you love that you haven’t had, the feelings you stuffed in the closet and put all your weight against the door to close … WILL catch up to you.


Here's the truth, at the end of the day, you can't run from you.


There may be freedom in NOT RUNNING, how about that? At the end of the day, I'm not even that good a runner. So, in this New Year, I am retiring from the sport of running away from my life, however great I’ve looked doing it. It’s time for me to turn around and embrace my life.
I am ready.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is called living in the moment, living in the NOW. So true. I am sorry I had to be so much older before I got it. I am glad you get it. Love you, DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading the blog, Sue. I have to admit that I assume nobody is reading it, so I am only now seeing this comment. I am indeed trying to live in the NOW, and it is not nearly so easy as it sounds, but then you know that don't you? I appreciate your support and love so much.

    ReplyDelete